Hey everyone. I am so excited to be sharing some of my favorite things to do, favorite places to eat and favorite places to shop in my favorite little city- Bangor! The first thing I like to do when visiting some place new is find the hole in the wall restaurants that locals would consider their city treasures…so that is where I will begin!
Bangor is a great little city that is loaded with locally owned restaurants that will win your heart over and keep you coming back for more! From your classic American cuisine to ethnic cuisine you will not need to leave the city limits.
- Zen Asian Bistro formerly known as Thai Siam is one of my family’s favorite places to eat in or take out. In my opinion they have the best Thai food in town! My family typically orders the Fresh Thai Spring Rolls, Hot Basil Leaves, Drunken Noodles and Pad Thai (all with chicken, because that is how we roll.) We have tried ordering these dishes other places and truly none can compare. If you are a fan of Thai food, this is most definitely the place to go!
- Paddy Murphy’s has a diverse menu and wonderful service. The atmosphere is unmatchable. The menu offers many Irish options! Paddy’s Irish Nachos are delicious and the Pesto Wrap is hard for me to pass up! If you love fries- look no further- theirs are top notch! You can even get Poutine Pub Fries which is quite the find in Bangor! For anyone who doesn’t know what Poutine Fries are, let me enlighten you…Imagine perfectly crispy fries smothered in a Guinness gravy with shredded cheddar and topped with fresh scallions! Is your mouth watering yet? Ok moving on because I am now getting hungry just typing this…. One of the most charming things about this pub is that the family who owns it is as friendly as can be. Occasionally you will even see their daughter in there helping out with various small tasks which make it even more delightful…it is the true picture of a family run restaurant.
- Harvest Moon Deli is the place to go if you are craving an amazing sandwich. They have 2 locations in Bangor and offer delivery. The fun names of their sandwiches and the unique pairing of ingredients cannot be found anywhere else. I fall in love at first bite with each new sandwich I try! My all-time favorite is the Ringo Star- which is the best Reuben in town! But close seconds are the Jefferson Airplane and the B.B. King which are loaded with flavor that just keep me going back. Most of their sandwiches are Paninis and the bread is out of this world!
- Panda Garden is the place to visit if you are hankering for Chinese food. It is a Cantonese restaurant and the food always impresses me. I have a hard time not ordering Mu Shu chicken every time I go, but the few times I have deviated I have not been let down. The General Tso’s Chicken is a close second and I can’t dine there without getting crab rangoons. Chinese food without crab rangoons would be incomplete, don’t you think?
- Verve, oh my….I could eat at this trendy little spot daily. A perfectly stuffed burrito might actually be one of my love languages. This little burrito shop is Oh. Good! My seven-year-old is nuts for Verve and we have a hard time saying no when he requests to eat there because we love it too. They use fresh ingredients and as if the perfectly seasoned chicken and salsas weren’t enough but they give you the option of a dressed up sour cream to top it all off! The habanero sour cream is my all-time favorite!
- Specialty Sweets…If you are like me- you have a bit of a sweet tooth and like to finish off a perfect meal with dessert! Specialty Sweets has got you covered! The downtown location not only has a beautiful case of handcrafted chocolates and many options for homemade fudge, but also has Maine Made Ice Cream! If you find yourself closer to the Uptown location AKA the Flagship store- you will find option after option for handcrafted chocolates and fudge along with homemade edible cookie dough! If you haven’t tried edible cookie dough before wait no more!!! Specialty Sweets makes a variety of flavors that change regularly- all egg free and with heat treated flour! I must admit, I have always had a hard time making cookies because I rarely have very much dough left by the time the oven is preheated (yes, I may have a bit of a problem.) So, edible cookie dough that I get to eat guilt free since I’m not supposed to be baking it really just rocks my day!
Share this post